What distracts you?
I read a writer’s blog the other day about what distracts her while writing and came to the conclusion that just about ANYTHING can distract me.
My desk is right by a window, looking onto the street. Do you have any idea of the interesting things that go on outside?
- how much rain has fallen
- how my flowers have grown
- construction workers across the street. And they’re not even that attractive!
- people walking on the sidewalk
- class of kids walking on the sidewalk (We live very close to the school and kids passing by usually results in me getting up and opening the door to go out and say hi if it’s one of my kids’ classes)
- whether that dog is pooping on my lawn and whether the owner is about to scoop
What else can distract me?
My phone. And this is sad because I can count on one hand the people who regularly text me during the day. And yet, I still check to see if I’ve missed a text or BBM even though the phone has never left my side!
The wrong song. Not even a bad song, because I made the playlist and even though it’s at least 24 hours worth of music, I like all of the songs. But maybe it’s too slow, or too upbeat, or I’m writing a sexy bit and I need that song from the Weeknd, or maybe I just need to sing along to ‘Castle on the Hill’ for the umpteenth time.
It’s a good song. Good to sing along to. Plus I’m currently crushing on Ed Sheeran. That hair. Let’s look up baby pics of him…
See what I mean?!
Some days I’m motivated to work through the distractions. (All right, hardly ever)
All I can say is that I’m incredibly lucky that I love what I do and I work from home, because if I was in an office, who knows if I’d get any work done!
And now I’m posting this in the middle of a rainy Friday afternoon to see if I can distract you! 🙂
Don’t forget –
If you haven’t picked up your copy of Coming Home, make sure you get it this weekend before the price goes up!!