Happy New Year!
2016 is over
And the consensus is that is a good thing.
Everyone can agree that a great many bad things happened in 2016. And then to top it off, only days from the end, George Michael and Carrie Fisher passed away. And her mother, Debbie Reynolds. But instead of dwelling on the negatives, I chose to look at the positives. Like all these good things that happened in 2016:
- The manatee population is increasing! And there are more tigers. And more pandas
- In California, 6 million homes are now powered by solar energy. And a solar-powered plane circled the world
- India planted 50 million trees in one day
- The Ice Bucket Challenge helped ALS researchers get one step closer to help find a cure for the disease
- Leonardo Dicaprio won an Oscar!
A Few of My Favourite Things
Let’s start with a few lists of my favourite things from 2016.
Now, these aren’t the best movies of 2016, but the ones I was looking forward to seeing, and didn’t disappoint.
As you’ll see from my list, I go primarily for entertainment value when it comes to my movies – entertainment that often involves laughter, comic book heroes and things blowing up! What can I say – I go for mindless entertainment! I’m also a self-professed geek, and since 2 out of my 3 kids are headed that way as well, we go see a lot of ‘fun’ movies!
Favourite Movies of 2016
(in no particular order)
- Captain America – Civil War
- Rogue One
- Bad Moms
- Finding Dory
- Dr. Strange
- Batman vs Superman
- Suicide Squad
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Favourite Television shows
- Stranger Things – this Netflix show was amazing! Scarier than I expected (I ran from the room more than once, to my kids’ delight at seeing their mother scared!) Set in the 80s with a weird Lost/Stand By Me feel to it, I’m counting the days until the next season
- Game of Thrones (season 6) – Oh, Jon Snow. And Tyrion. And Daenarys. And Arya Stark. How do I love thee?
- The Crown – Another good one from Netflix. I’ve always been mildly interested in the royal family, but now I’m hooked!
- Madam Secretary – Does anyone watch this? Because I never hear anything about it, but it’s terrific
Favourite Books I Read in 2016
- Eligible (Curtis Sittenfeld) – best retelling of Pride and Prejudice. Ever.
- Ready Player One (Ernest Cline) – full of 80s references, this sci-fi thriller would appeal to anyone who likes action, not just the gamers. I’ve already passed it on to 2 guys I know will love it as much as I did
- It Ends With Us (Colleen Hoover) -I read anything of hers
- The Court of Mist and Fury (Sarah J. Maas) – the second in this YA fantasy series so much better than the first book! And I never like the second books in a series. Can’t wait for the next one
- Kindred Spirits (Rainbow Rowell) – Short and sweet, about two fans waiting in line for the new Star Wars movie
- Mount (Jilly Cooper) – It’s been years since Jilly Cooper released a book and I’ve been (im)patiently waiting! This is smut, in it’s finest form
- Nuts (Alice Clayton)
- Dirty Rowdy Thing (Christina Lauren) – Sexy and sweet from two of my favourite New Adult authors
- Victoria (Daisy Goodwin) – I’m all about the royal families. Can’t wait for the series to come to Canada this month!
- Dark Matter (Blake Crouch) – Wow. Just wow. This blew my mind. Some of the quantum physics stuff went right over my head, but wow. So good.